Every year for the past 10 years, I choose One Word at the beginning of the year, that will set the tone for every intention, habit, routine, mindset and thought for the year.
"Creating a healthy mindset is an investment in your overall wellbeing.
Choosing One Word each year rather than a list of goals completely changed my mindset from one of seeking perfection at all costs in order to achieve my goals, to intentional focus on my One Word. I created healthy ways to incorporate my One Word into my yearly plan and began thriving much more than I ever did when I was solely focused on achieving my goals.
I used to set goals every year, and like so many of us, goal setting became overwhelming and unfruitful for me, instead of feeling motivated I would feel, defeated and unworthy of succeeding. So when I attended an annual women's brunch hosted by one of my besties church in 2013, the theme of the brunch was One Word, it forever changed the way I planned out my New Year.
As well as setting goals each year, I would choose daily and monthly Words to help achieve my goals. Sure, I did achieve some of my goals throughout the years, but mostly I would have unfinished goals, and I would end up feeling completely like a failure. The only thing that helped me, was knowing I wasn't alone.
So that year, I literally took a leap of faith, and dropped all formal goal setting and chose just One Word, and have ever since. This past years word was Clarity and a few of my other past words have been flow, strive, balance,believe, and flourish just to name a few.
When I first started I began to incorporate my One Word into my daily routines and habits, finding ways to flow, strive, balance, believe, and flourish more each year.
Everything happens on a mental level before it manifests on the physical level. This is why it's so important to get your mindset right. You have to believe in yourself no matter what the external circumstances are. Strengthen your vision and have hope that things can get better. ~ averstu.com
Here's 3 Ways I've found that help to really shine a light on your One Word
• Create a vision board based on your One Word
• Make an affirmation card, gather at least 10 affirmations using your One Word and create a digital or handwritten card, make it something you can have every where you go
• Write a letter to yourself, using your One Word as the focus, write about how you see your life being affected by living intentionally focused on your One Word for 365 days, seal it put it away and open next NYE
So every year since towards the end of the year, I like to reflect on how the year living with my One Word was, and allow my reflecting to bring forth the new years One Word. Sometimes it comes to me right away,others, I've decided at the last minute, only because I was being indecisive.
For 2024, my One Word will be Embody. After living in Clarity this past year, I've been able to get clearer on some things I've been working on, and feel like I'm being called to live a year Emdoying & embracing my true self.
I tend to suffer from imposter syndrome, always second guessing myself, as part of my meditation teacher certification I've been facing some of my fears that constantly come up when I'm questioning my validity to teach & guide others in meditation. So I'm looking forward to this year's intentions that will help me move for on my journey.
I enjoy choosing One Word for the year and then setting intentions based on my word, and I love the results I'm getting by choosing One Word, and will continue to use it as long as I'm here to celebrate a new year!
And I hope you give choosing One Word a try and see for yourself the life changing benefits of living with focused intentions.
Sharing 3 things, I do before the end of the year as well as a quick step-by-step mini guide to creating a free easy vision board below.
It's all about mindset. From the moment you wake up, to the moment you rest your head at night. Everything is up to you. Your emotions, your thoughts, your perceptions, your reactions. Every moment.
Restart-Reset-Refocus: Make 2024 your best year yet
3 Things to do Before the End of the Year
1. Reflect and journal - look back at this past year and take in the lessons, mistakes, failures, accomplishments, wins, and miracles that happened over the year. Ask yourself, what do I want? And what am I willing to do to get what I want? Write out your answers and use the reflections & answers to guide you in choosing your One Word for the new year. Now, set your intentions.
2. Choose your One Word for the New Year - once you've chosen your One Word for the year, take some time immersing yourself in its meaning and set your intentions for the year. What do you want to achieve this year? How will you accomplish those achievements ? Let these answers guide you to setting the intentions necessary to succeed.
3. Create your 2024 Vision board - now for the fun part! Creating a vision board is a powerful tool for manifesting the life you want. Yesterday, I shared a reel on how to make a free and easy digital vision board, be sure, and check it out. It's a total game changer in the world of vision boarding! Make your One Word the nucleus of your board and include your intentions as well. Have fun, and take your time.
***Here's how to make a free easy digital vision board 2024:
1. Open @canva
2. Search "vision board" templates
3. Find the one you want
4. Make it your own
5. Save it
6. Upload it to all your devices and make it the home screen or screen saver or both
I used to cut & paste for hours now I just have fun creating my dream vision board and I thoroughly enjoy having it right at my fingertips. Whenever I need a quick reminder I just tap reaffirm my intentions for the year and I'm good to go
Trust me when I say there is power & magic in choosing One Word & creating a Vision board each new year. I've been doing it for over 10 years, and it's completely changed my perspective on New Years Eve resolutions and goals. I've learned that focusing on One Word, setting intentions, and visualizing is far more powerful than simply writing down a few resolutions and goals.
When I focus on my One Word and the intentions I've set for myself, I'm much more successful at accomplishing what I set out to achieve.
Try it this year and see for yourself!
It's not enough to just hope for a happy and healthy life; it's a combination of mindset, routines, and habits working together that will get you there.
~ Robyn Conely Downs
Conscious Positive Living